Saturday, March 13, 2010

Great Ocean Road 200k - A brilliant ride!

A week of feeling lethargic after a 600 in the worst weather conditions for some time had me concerned about how my body would perform on the ride this weekend. The climb from Deans Marsh to Benwerrin and the constant undulations along the Great Ocean Road are testing, and had me thinking a bit, but at least they are quite familar to me so I just needed to adjust accordingly.

Peter Donnan modified the route this year to start from Angelsea rather than Grovedale and I must say what a great decision. I chose the no lights 8am start, 11 hour time limit option and the plan was to ride within myself due to the residual tiredness I seemed to be carrying. In no time we were off in the chilly air and I immediately let the quickies pull away from the first climb out of Angelsea.

 In no time we were off

It wasn't long before Ian George and I settled in to a similar pace and we found ourselves swapping turns at the front on the way to Moriac.On to Cape Otway Road and we were making good time but I felt I was pushing a little too hard. I said to Ian I was going to back off a little. Once I turned into the Winchelsea-Lorne Road I stopped to shed the wind-breaker as the temperature was beginning to climb just as I would be every soon. Up to Bambra and then on to Deans Marsh before the steeper grades to Benwerrin at an elevation of about 430m then 10k of all downhill into Lorne - wheeeee! The controle was the usual bakery where the brevet card was signed and a hot cross bun gratefully received. That was 82 k in about 3 hrs which was pleasing.
One really good aspect of this ride now is that Apollo Bay controle and turn around now comes at the 128k point which is well over half way. As usual Peter, Eileen and Peter's sister were at Apollo Bay with oodles of great food to fuel the riders for the return leg.

 Apollo Bay controle


There had been a slight tailwind on the way out so the slight headwind on the way back certainly slowed my pace but by the same token kept me cool and relaxed on a beautiful sunny day. The ocean looked a magnificent greeny blue and some nice little rolling waves had quite a few surfers out at the popular spots along the way. The traffic generally behaved itself and was not too bad in terms of volume. A stop at the Lorne bakery again broke up the return leg nicely. Food and drink and I was topped up for a 4:35 pm finish and a riding time of a touch over 7hrs 45 mins. Some good conversation after the ride at a beautiful finishing point on the Angelsea River helped make this another one to remember. Yes it was a brilliant ride!

Beautiful finishing point on the Angelsea River

No comments:

Post a Comment