Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cycling about the Moorabool

I did a reconnaissance ride for the Moorabool Mayhem 200k last Sunday. I am running it as an unsupported Audax ride this coming Sunday. The route crosses the Moorabool River valley on a number of occasions. The valley has steep sides so there are some serious grades to contend with. Fortunately most of them are short and with a little straining, huffing and puffing they can be negotiated by reasonably capable cyclists. There is one real beast however that is known to local cyclists as Godzilla. Its at the 175k mark and on tired legs I generally take a walk for about 50 metres where the Garmin displays 20, 21, 22%. Other issues I noted on the ride were a number of short gravel sections on the Ballark Mt Egerton Road where quarry trucks have broken up the road. Riders will need to be cautious. A good number of people have registered for the ride, the weather forecast currently is for the occasional shower and light winds so its all good to go.


Having ridden the route last week I’ll sit out the ride myself this week as I try to freshen a little for the Great Ocean Road 600 the following weekend. The GOR600 is also quite a challenging ride that is similar to the Great Southern Randonee 600 I did in 2008 and the mid week 600 I did last year. The ups and downs of the Great Ocean Road, the Otways and the hills around Timboon will provide some great riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment