Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Fit for a Queen

The Queen's Birthday long weekend provided me a great opportunity to log up some kilometres towards the goals that I have set myself for the year.

So on Saturday a group of seven of us undertook the Eureka Dales 200k permanent from Teesdale.
Mark, Leigh, Brian and  Jack along with Myra and Steve joined me on one of my favourite routes that headed up to Elaine then on to Ballarat, Smythesdale, Linton and Rokewood. The ride provided around 1500m of ascent and for the most part it was on quiet country roads. The day was cool but fine and the wind was light. We finished the ride in under 10 hours just after dark with it starting to get somewhat colder. Carol had prepared us some hot soup at the conclusion of the ride that soon warmed all of us up. All in all a great day was had by all.

Quiet country roads on Eureka Dales 200

On Sunday morning Carol, Kelly and I traveled to Horsham and I rode the Natimuk Knockout 100k permanent in the afternoon. This ride travels predominately through grain growing country to the west of the town and the highlight of the ride are the views of Mt Arapiles as you loop around to Natimuk on the return to Horsham.

Mt Arapiles on Natimuk Knockout 100

On Monday of the long weekend I rode another favourite ride of mine from Horsham. I have ridden Wimmera,Wool and Water 200k both as a calendar ride and as a permanent a few times. Riding as a permanent a long stretch of 125k to the only opportunity to buy food at Balmoral requires you to carry ample supplies yourself. This ride provides great views of the Grampians and at this time of year the lush pastures are grazed by finely bred merino sheep.

Views on Wimmera Wool and Water 200

No comments:

Post a Comment