Tuesday, November 3, 2009

GT Terzo

Bairnsdale to Lilydale - 300 km
The weather for the 300k to Lilydale was a riders dream with a tail breeze, warm but not too hot. A peloton of about 8 riders formed and the pace was solid but manageable as we headed to Stratford. We didn’t leave the checkpoint as a group but it generally came back together soon after and we proceeded through some fine dairying country to the next control at Glengarry. After this we continued on past the power station at Yallourn to Moe and having set our sights on Yarragon at 180 km for the next control and aided by the wind and flatter terrain we got moving quite quickly with Gareth Evans driving the “train”. I left the control with Pepe Ochoa. Dave Harrington, Tom Nankivell and Howard Dove were thereabouts as well. There was plenty of climbing to the control at Neerim South and more hills on the way to find an historic trestle bridge up a dirt track near Noojee. I was just hanging on to Howard and Pepe who were riding the hills far more strongly than me as we headed to Yarra Junction. Before Powelltown I was alone on the fast and long descent to the town as a thunderstorm hit and it began raining quite heavily so I slowed to ensure I remained safe and upright. I found Pepe and Howard sheltering under the veranda of the local store on my arrival.. From this point we donned wet gear and set off together, stopped briefly at Yarra Junction to sign cards, make a few phone calls then on to the rail trail to Lilydale. Fortunately having made good time the trail was negotiated in daylight which was certainly the preferred approach on a road bike. I finished the ride at 7:25 pm and a pleasing riding time of just over 11 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment