Monday, November 23, 2009

Indigo Classic

I travelled up to Beechworth in North East Victoria to undertake my 3rd Indigo Classic on 22 November. This ride provides a particular challenge for me as my first attempt in 2007 resulted in a DNF within 5 km of the finish. On that occasion the heat and poor management of my hydration saw me grind to a halt halway up Buckland Gap totally and utterly depleted. It turned into a motivation for me last season to improve my cycling, endurance and on-bike management.
The ride organised by Fraser Rowe this year had only 2 entries for the 200k option. Rodney Kruz joined me on the ride. Ironically we are both riding Malvern Star Oppy Le Mauco's. I spent most of the first 130 odd K clinging to Rodney on the flat sections, losing ground when it tilted up and slowly making ground when it went down. I  lost several minutes to him over Kancoona Gap and so briefly saw him at Ovens pub before the last 30 K to Beechworth which includes Buckland Gap. A climb that has an average 10% grade for about 2 kms. The weather during the ride was challenging, quite humid, very wet at times including a massive storm as a front came through during the last leg of the ride. My riding time  was much the same as last year, just inside 8 hours but less time at controls had me finishing considerably earlier than last year.  You just  have to love a ride that goes through towns with names like Yackandandah and Tamgambalanga.

No comments:

Post a Comment