Monday, December 7, 2009

Jump the Gun - 400k

A 6am start with a forecast of temperatures in the low to mid 20's made this an ideal ride to get a reasonably long ride under the belt. I chose a 400k as I'd had a week that was less than relaxing and also lacking in adequate sleep and thought a 600 would be pushing things a little.
Setting off a bunch of about 6 of us moved away from the remainder of riders. The group held together through Carisbrook as we looped back around to Dunolly for the first control. Things broke up after that and I rode with Martin Chambers who was doing the 100k. Another control at  Avoca and then on back to Maryborough. I said farewell to Martin and pulled in to a cafe for some food at 9:45 with 100k covered. Before I could get in the shop a mountain bike enthusiast got talking to me about everything from GPSs to bike frames. My wife happened along and saved me from a losing too much time in conversation. In for a pastie and cappuchino but I made the mistake while waiting for the order of going back out to my bike briefly only to be consumed again in talk with the same guy. Sorry I said but I better get back to the wife. Phew!
After the break I was off on my way to Newstead via Maldon. Peter Horsley rode with me from around Maldon to the outskirts of Maryborough. Just out of Maldon we had an incident where we were abused by a yobbo who did his best to brake suddenly in front of us then try to drive as close to Peter as he could. Later another driver in a 4wd bomb screeched brakes behind us in an effort to slow down to avoid running into us. Fortunately that was to be the last hillbillies we encountered. Newstead was the next control and after that a push into a firm wind on the way to Campbelltown before turning towards Majorca. Peter was doing 300k and I eased back over the last few k's into Maryborough to complete a bit over 200k by 2:20pm.

  Part way through the 400k at Maryborough

The day to this point had been relatively overcast and the temperature mild reaching about 20 C. A half hour or so break for lunch then on towards the Newbridge control. Stopping at the local pub had its humour as about half a dozen locals well and truly lubricated  argued about the performance of various individuals in the local footy competition. Back to Maryborough to have 300k wiped off by 7:10pm  Another break of about three quarters of an hour including an evening meal and a shower to freshen up had me feeling confident of finishing aroud nidnight. Out to Avoca as the sun set and back to Maryborough. A quick change to put on arm warmers and wind vest then a glorious ride under clear night skies to Dunolly and back. I pulled into the caravan park base at a quarter after 12. I was pleased with the total time as I had spent a considerable amount off the bike during the ride. 25kph average whilst riding was also pleasing. Some pleasant conversation with Simon Watt who was running the ride about all things associated with distance riding rounded out a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment