Sunday, August 22, 2010

West fom Werribee into the Wild

Saturday 21 August 2010 saw the running of the Wild Wild West from Werribee. There were 200 and 300k options on offer. Organiser Merryn Rowlands was ably assisted by husband Stephen and Tim Taylor and once again put on a top ride.

Getting ready
I chose the 300k  option to get extra miles into the legs before PAP in early October. Something like 22 of the 35 starters on the day also chose the 300. WNW winds dominated the early part of the ride where I was accompanied by Leigh Johansen and Peter Curtis across to Anakie  and the first checkpoint. Just prior to turning into Slate Quarry Road on the second leg the fist rain squall blew across dropping the temperature and making the descent down to the Moorabool River a little treachorous. Through Meredith and heading towards Shelford and I found myself alone and travelling well. Leigh Paterson motored past after a longer stop at Anakie. Merryn served up baked potatoes and chilli beans at the checkpoint and they were the perfect nourishment in the cool conditions. Setting off I rode alone again to Moriac. The section along Barwon Park road was exceptionally tough with its continuous rise and a howling wind. Just before Moriac Leigh Paterson motored past after a longer stop at Shelford. Cards signed and refreshments consumed at the Moriac store and it was off toward St Leonards. From Ocean Grove to Point Lonsdale I chatted with another cyclist out for a training ride who said I was crazy to be riding such a distance. Just after turning onto the Queenscliff -Portarlington Road Leigh Paterson motored past after a longer stop at Moriac. Tim Taylor and Stephen had hot soup, warm rolls,  pasta and fruit salad on menu to satisfy hungry riders who they reported were strung out over a huge distance. Geelong was the next target and darkness set in at Drysdale. It was East Geelong before Leigh Paterson motored past after a longer stop at St Leonards. Catching Leigh at the traffic lights I was chasing him through Geelong when he suddenly turned south. I wondered where in the hell he was going. I caught him at traffic lights again and queried him. The 24 hour cafe he said. Yes Leigh I said but you've got the wrong 24 hour cafe! He was heading towards the cafe we had used as the start/finish of the Western Districts Wanderer 1000. Back on track we stopped at a pizza joint and bought coke had a little food then off together through North Geelong and North Shore. Leigh gradually pulled away then he stopped for a quick break. I rode on through Lara and on the road to Little River Leigh motored passed me for the last time. I rode on steadily through the cold of the evening to complete the ride around 9:30 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment