Monday, November 14, 2011

Coffee and Milk Please

The weekend of 12 and 13th of November saw the seventh running of Cafe au Lait S'il Vous Plait by Chris Rogers out of the North Eastern Victorian town of Wangaratta. Around 20 riders assembled for the 6am start with various distances from 125k to 600k nominated. It was good to catch up with a few riders that I hadn't crossed paths with for a while including Adrian Whear and the trim Tim Taylor. This well conceived ride consists of a series of loops based  from Wangaratta. After a short delay in finalising everyone's entry riders got away at 6:10 am. This is how I saw the ride.

Around 20 riders assembled

Loop 1 ~ Wangaratta - Yarrawonga - Wangaratta (125k)

Perfect conditions started the day off nicely. When Chris said go Tim Taylor leaned on his pedals and was soon dissappearing into the distance. I settled down into a small group that incuded Adrian, Igor, Rodney and Garry Wall. For the first 10 or so k's we chatted a little but soon Garry and I were happy to let the others move away up the road and out of sight. The two of us stayed in single file and swapped turns along the Yarrawonga -Wangaratta Road and were soon arriving at the first checkpoint at the bakery in Yarrawonga. The rest of the riders soon rolled in as well. Garry and I rode together back to Wangaratta where Garry headed on home to Milawa to pick up his reflective vest. I bought a sandwich and drink at a local cafe.

 First checkpoint at the bakery in Yarrawonga

Loop 2 ~ Wangaratta - Beechworth - Wangaratta (81k)

I headed off solo on this leg towards Milawa, across to Everton then up along the bicycle trail to Beechworth. It was great to see a large group of 20 or so very young riders coming down the trail on their bicycles with their parents. As seems to be the case every time I have ridden this trail it has been fairly warm on the climb through the cuttings but fortunately in most places there is plenty of shade. Beechworth Bakery was relatively quiet and made a suitable checkpoint. I was back on the bike and heading down the road to Wangaratta within 20 minutes. I had to search a while to find an open cafe when I got back to Wang and while I was enjoying a coke and ice cream Garry cruised in and decided the coke and ice cream looked so good he bought some too.

Garry with a coke

Loop 3 ~Wangaratta - Rutherglen - Wangaratta (95k)

We left together on the road to Rutherglen. Although I felt in better shape than I did at the same point last year when I road the 300k version in very warm conditions I was not feeling terrific and by the time we got to Rutherglen I was flagging. Garry suggested we share some salty chips at the local fish and chip shop but food for me was now going to be a challenge. I opted for some dim sims and Garry went for potato cakes. I marvel at what can fuel one on long rides like this. The leg back to Wang and I was slowing significantly but Garry was happy to ride with me. As I was not in great form I decided to head to the motel have a shower eat a little and put on some fresh gear.

Loop 4 ~ Wangaratta - Boorhaman - Wangaratta (54k)

I have alwys felt it essential on a 600 to get through at least 350k on the first day with 400k preferable. The 50k loop would bring up 350k and I thought then after a sleep I would feel stronger to finish the ride off. The loop was uneventful except for a brief stop where I managed to get some gel food on my hands, handle bars and waterbottles. I hate sticky! I was soon back at Wang and put the head down for 90 minutes. This was the point where I abandoned the 30 hr target I had set myself and decided riding through without any sleep was not advisable.

Loop 5 ~ Wangaratta - Myrtleford - Wangaratta (96k)

Potentially this is often the hardest part of this sort of ride. The early hours of the morning. I made slow but steady progress on the gradual climb to Gapsted. Garry had earlier warned me to watch out for wallabies. I was surprised at one point by a kangaroo lying in the middle of the road. Probably hit by a vehicle some time just before. He looked up at me as I shone my helmet light at him but he made no other movement so I continued on past. As I descended down into Myrtleford a headlight a reflective vest was coming towards me and it turned out to be Tim Taylor. We greeted each other as we passed. I made a brief stop in Myrtleford where I found vending machine where I could get a coke. The climb back up to the turn off towards Milawa seemed rather difficult and as I turned the corner I realised I had flatted the rear tyre. Under the light from my helmet mounted ayups I tried pumping up the tire but it wouldn't hold any air. I inspected the tyre which was brand new for the ride but not apparant cuts, glass or thorns. I thought the tube must be the culprit and a post ride inspection proved this to be the case. the valve and tube were seperating. I was on my way in 20 minutes as the new day was dawning. Back again in Wang, this time for breakfast at the motel but still not firing on all cylinders

Loop 6 ~ Wangaratta - Benella - Wangaratta (102k)

So with 450 k completed the end was in sight but there was still some work to do. I laboured on the ride to Benella stopped on a few occasions to have a short rest. Clearly my calorific intake had been insufficent and I forced down museli bars and lollies. There was a local handicap cycling race on as a number of small bunches of riders raced passed in the opposite direction heading up the hill along Kilfeera Road towards Greta South. I enjoyed a steak and onion pie and strawberry milk at the bakery at Benalla. The leg back from here was tough. The temperature was quite warm and there was a head wind. I resolved to ride steadily and stopped off at Glenrowan for a drink. The Kelly Country Classic was being held and there were a number of riders in town. I took my time before heading on to complete this lap. My wife Carol and daughter Kelly greeted me in Wangaratta where I had another flavoured milk before beginning the final loop.

Loop 7 ~ Wangaratta - Eldorado - Wangarattta (53k)

With the 600k almost in the bag I was confident I would complete the ride but I did curse the headwind on the way to Eldorado. I suppose I should be thankful for the cool change that swept in as I turned back towards Wangaratta after the penultimate checkpoint stop at Eldorado but it meant a headwind for the final 30 odd k as well! I was pleased to eventually  pull up at the King George Gardens for the final time.

Sunburnt but only 30k's to go

Thanks for developing and organising a great ride Chris.


No comments:

Post a Comment